Ok, so there's a good story that goes with this one.
My mom made chicken pot pies and happened to have leftover pie crust.
So my dad and I decided to get creative and make some pastries...without a recipe. Because, let's be honest. How much fun is that?
We managed to make a couple that weren't bad. I had a cinnamon apple concoction and my dad made one with blackberry jam and peaches.
But then we had a special one. Very special indeed.
Here was the thought process:
Hmm...what would AJ like?
Fruit snacks.
What else would he like?
Peanut butter.
What goes with peanut butter?
Applesauce.
(By the way, mixing peanut butter and applesauce creates quite the interesting texture. I highly recommend trying it sometime)
(By the way, mixing peanut butter and applesauce creates quite the interesting texture. I highly recommend trying it sometime)
Let's add bananas.
We need some more texture.
Apple chunks.
We need something sweet.
Marshmallows.
So, it really does make sense if you look at it that way. As far as the fruit snacks go, they're...well, they're fruity. So it's comparable to jelly, in a sense. And jelly goes with all of those things.
The problem comes when you BAKE fruit snacks.
You know how when you eat horseradish, it completely assaults your tongue? You know how they refer to that sensation as having "bite"?
When you eat baked fruit snacks, they bite you.
See how red my face is in that photo? Apparently that happened immediately after I took a bite of our death pastry.
I can usually handle eating some pretty gross things. (Just ask my room mate, Lydia.)
But believe you me when I say that I struggled to swallow that demon food.
But I did it. And so did my dad.
...and then we tasted it in our mouths for about an hour afterwards.
Moral of the story:
I have an awesome dad.

No comments:
Post a Comment