It was nasty and rainy. I was displeased.
It was a really lazy day. I sat around and read a lot.
I actually just finished a book - The God Box. My professor actually suggested it for me. It was really really good. It takes specific scriptures commonly used to bash homosexuality and sort of tells a more complete story about them. I think they missed one, though, that I'm going to have to check.
My wonderful boyfriend also led me to a source that I totally missed somehow. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.
The source actually led to a source...which led to a source. So awesome!
I also started reading Maus. I'm so thankful for room mates who read. We tend to circulate books between us and it's pretty awesome. I forgot how much I enjoy reading because I never had time for it.
I'm also thankful for graphic novels. I wish that they were taught more. My Children's Lit professor said that teachers A) believe the misconceptions about these "comic book" style novels or B) don't know how to teach them. I love that class and how much I'm learning. If the job demand was higher, I'd love to be an elementary school teacher. I just know that things are not looking hot for teachers right now. Not. Hot. At. All.
I'm excited to get to work with kids, all the same. I have such a passion for kids.
When you're working with children, you have the greatest potential to change their entire life. I can still remember how thankful I was in first grade when an aide re-knotted the strap on my dress for me on picture day. I was so shy and nervous about asking for help, but she reached out to me in such a kind and simple way.
While it wasn't the case for me, I'll always remember that you may never know what hell a child is going through at home. Reaching out to them, being a good example, and simply showing them unconditional love very well may save their life someday. And that's no exaggeration.
...I'm really impressed with myself. I spelled exaggeration correctly the first time. That is one of the few words that always gave me trouble.
Huh.

No comments:
Post a Comment