My first photo on the front page!
My friends over at The Echo surprised me today by publishing one of my photos on the front page. It was a surprise because they had already used one of my photos from this event in the last edition.
So...sweet!
I got quite a bit done today (SHOCKER) on my research project. I found a horrifying website in the process. I understand where they're coming from. I really do.
They believe that homosexuality is sinful in nature and they're trying to broadcast the truth in the midst of what they refer to as the "Gay Christian Movement". That in itself is honorable. They're doing what they're called to do as disciples of Jesus.
However, their messages are buried in hate of the sin (that sometimes comes off as hate towards homosexual individuals), hate of the media, and embellished "articles".
This is what I mean:
This is what I mean:
Just this past week, Savage’s so-called “it gets better campaign” proved just how ineffective it is when a fourteen year old boy in Buffalo, New York committed suicide after embracing its dead message. ABC News reported that Buffalo police are considering charges.
If you don't click on the link, the context may lead you to believe that "ABC News reported that Buffalo police are considering charges" against the same people that this article suggests should be charged - Lady GaGa, other gay-rights activists- instead of the reality...the charges may be pressed against this child's tormentors.
This blog entry is riddled with embellished, exaggerated language that, in my opinion, weakens their argument by making them seem like a bunch of ultra-conservative crazies.
And finally, the content matter.
They're using the death of a child to attack, not the bullies in this case, not the "It Gets Better" movement, but the people who support the movement. They also make a stab at the kid who killed himself by acting like they knew how he felt when he made the video they embedded on the site. Seriously?
I'd like to make the argument that none of the people writing for this website have ever had a high school or middle school student call them in the middle of the night and say, "I want to kill myself right now because I'm being bullied for being gay."
And if they had, I'd be willing to bet that there would be a good chance that they'd start preaching at the poor kid when all they need in that moment is to be shown the love and grace of Jesus Christ.
Because that's what Christianity is supposed to be all about.
"Faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of these is love."
Maybe I'm misinterpreting.
Maybe I'm right.
#endrant

No comments:
Post a Comment